How do I make a claim?

You need to lodge an Injury Claim Form with the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurer as soon as practicable after the accident.

Since 1 July 2016, four insurers cover CTP claims in South Australia – Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, AAMI, QBE and SGIC. 

We can assist you in completing the Claim Form and lodging the claim with the relevant CTP Insurer.

What is the process after a claim is lodged?

Once a claim is lodged, the insurance company will contact you with a claim number. They may wish to conduct investigations about who is at fault for the accident. 

The insurance company will usually agree to pay your reasonable medical expenses related to your injuries, after seeking medical evidence. They will then wait for your injuries to stabilise before finalising your claim. 

If you engage us to help you with your claim, we can advise on all aspects of your claim, assess what medical and other evidence will be necessary to maximise your potential entitlements, and deal with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that your rights are protected.

What compensation can I claim?

In addition to payment of reasonable medical expenses, you may be entitled to claim additional compensation including:

  • Compensation for pain and suffering;
  • Lost earnings from employment;
  • Loss of your ability to earn in the future;
  • Future medical expenses;
  • Travel expenses to and from treatment; and
  • An allowance for home care and personal care services.

There are a number of legal requirements that must be met before these payments are made, which include satisfying certain thresholds determined by the seriousness of your injury. In order to ensure that you receive all that you are entitled to, you should seek legal advice early in the claim.  

How long do I have to make a claim for compensation?

You have an initial period of six months to lodge the Injury Claim Form with a CTP Insurer.

If your claim is not finalised with three years of the accident, then you must commence legal proceedings to protect your right to claim compensation. For child injured in a motor vehicle accident, this time limit does not run until the child turns 18 years old.

Rossi Legal © 2019 All rights reserved. | Website by Boylen